I have always found it important to take an active role in the different communities I have been part of, which is why I have done various forms of volunteer work in different academic associations and institutional committees.
I have also recently taken an interest in outreach/public engagement activities, and in ways to make my research accessible to the wider public. Some of these activities are listed below.
I have received some awards and scholarships based on my academic performance and output, the details of which also appear on this page.
Doctoral Network and EMCA community in general
- Co-coordinator of the project: ‘Remote Data Sessions for PG Researchers’ with PhD students Jack Joyce (Loughborough University) and Tilly Flint (University of Ulster) bit.ly/remotedatasessions
- Coordination of the schedule for the weekly Interactional Linguistics Lab Meetings – Department of Language and Linguistic Science. University of York (2018-2019)
- Guest blog reports on
- Academic committee member of the Phonetics Teaching and Learning (PTLC2017) conference – University College London (2017; to date)
- Academic and organising committee member of PARLAY (Posgraduate Academic Researchers in Linguistics at York) (2017).
- Academic committee member of the 4th Jornadas Internacionales de la Didáctica de la Fonética – UNSAM (Universidad de San Martín) (2016)
- Academic committee member of EDAPI (Equipo de Desarrollo Académico, Publicación, e Investigación) – Instituto Superior del Profesorado “Dr. Joaquín V González” (2014-2016)
- Committee member of PronSIG (Pronunciation Special Interest Group) – IATEFL (2014-2015)
- Co-editor of the Web Resources section of Speak Out! – PronSIG (2014)
- Executive committee member at APIBA (Asociación de Profesores de Inglés de Buenos Aires) (2010-2012)
Outreach & public engagement activities
- Human fusion…in conversation. Exhibition of my research in the form of family-friendly activities at YorNight2018. (November 2018) ABSTRACT. Report in ROLSI blog.
- Finalist in the 2018 Three Minute Thesis Competition. Graduate Research School. University of York. (June 2018). FINALISTS’ BOOKLET – FINALISTS – VIDEO
- 3rd Prize at the Humanities Research Centre Poster Competition. University of York. (April 2018). News item with pictures – POSTER
- PhD student Ambassador and Phonetics activities leader at the Language and Linguistic Science Department Visit Days – University of York (2018; to date)
- Group facilitator at the PhD Study and Dealing with Stress session at the Humanities Research Centre. University of York. January 30th, 2019.
- Leader of sessions on “Collecting video data” and “Networking, Impact, and Outreach” at the Research Seminar for 1st year PhDs. Department of Language and Linguistic Science. University of York.
Awards and Scholarships
I have received the following awards and grants:
- HRC PhD Poster Competition. 3rd prize. Humanities Research Centre. University of York. 2018. POSTER
- Overseas Research Scholarship. Graduate Research School. University of York. Fee waiver and stipend to undertake my PhD studies in Language and Communication. Awarded by the University of York in June 2016.
- Best Postgraduate Thesis Award. MA in English Language. Premios y Estímulos a Profesores 2015. Universidad de Belgrano. Awarded October 2015. (Award mentioned on page 10)
- Winner of the International House Brita Haycraft Better Spoken English Scholarship. Awarded by International House and IATEFL PronSIG. (2014). Conference fee waiver and travel expenses covered to present at the 2014 IATEFL Conference in Harrogate, UK. Video here.
- Tuition waiver for a Diploma in English at Goldsmiths College External Programme. Awarded by Asociación Internacional de Estudios (AIE). (2005)
- Medal to Best Graduating Average Cohort 2000-2003. ISP Dr Joaquín V González. Buenos Aires, Argentina (2004)
I have been shortlisted and nominated for:
- Postgraduate Community Spirit Award 2018. Graduate Student Association. University of York.
Current professional association membership:
- ISCA (International Society for Conversation Analysis)
- IPA (International Phonetic Association)
- IPrA (International Pragmatics Association)
- BAAP (British Association of Academic Phoneticians)
I have been invited to review advanced drafts of the following pronunciation & listening materials:
- Cauldwell, R. (2018). A Syllabus for Listening – Decoding. Birmingham: Speech in Action. http://www.speechinaction.org/syllabus-for-listening/
- Hancock, M. (2017) PronPack 1-4. HancockMcDonaldELT. http://pronpack.com/published-by-hancock-mcdonald-elt/